Steps You Can Take To Protect Yourself After An Accident
After suffering in an accident, it can be hard to know what you need to do to protect yourself. There may be a lot going on after a car or slip-and-fall accident, and most victims are not aware of the steps they should take to defend their self-interests. Thankfully, you can seek the assistance of an attorney to help you proceed with such matters.
Here at Vincent J. DeSalvo, Attorney at Law, we have spent the last 40 years helping clients in the Baton Rouge area and throughout Louisiana in defending their legal rights after serious personal injuries. After more than four decades of representation, we want to pass along our knowledge of what you can do to protect yourself immediately after an accident.
What You Can Do At The Scene Of The Accident
There is a lot you can do to protect yourself after an accident, and while you may not remember all of these steps, taking even some of them can help ensure your safety and build a strong accident claim:
- Get to safety – After an accident, the most important thing to do is make sure that you and those involved are no longer in any immediate danger.
- Call the police – A police report can be critical in the outcome of your pursuit of compensation. It can also provide excellent guidance in sorting things out.
- Get the insurance company involved – If the responsible party tries to convince you to keep the insurance company out of this matter, do not give way to pressure. A small compensation now will likely not cover the total cost of your injury.
- Gather information – If you are capable, collect the contact information of anyone who may have witnessed the accident. You can even go as far as recording their testimony at the accident scene. Memories can fade or change a few days after the accident, so it is important to get things recorded right away.
- Take pictures and videos – You should record everything that you feel is relevant to your accident. Whether it was a patch of ice that you slipped on, the injuries you sustained on your person or the damages to the vehicle.
We understand that it is a challenge to do everything on your own after an accident, which is why our services include gathering necessary evidence to help you obtain the best possible compensation for your injuries.
Let Us Take Care Of The Rest
If you have taken a lot of steps to protecting your future after an accident, that does not mean you have to do it all. We pride ourselves on doing everything we can for our community because Baton Rouge needs good lawyers. You started your case, let us take care of the rest.
Contact our Baton Rouge office by calling 225-224-0383 or emailing us here. Act today to schedule your initial consultation with an attorney who is as invested in seeing you succeed as you are. Let our tough representation be your greatest weapon in fighting for your maximum compensation.