For parents in Baton Rouge and other cities nationwide, the birth of a child is usually a highlight in their lives. It is only natural for them to be concerned about the child’s safety and the competence of the medical team. Would they notice problems during birth, and will they act promptly to prevent harm to the child? Sadly, the many birth injury-related medical malpractice lawsuits show that medical teams often falter.
There are several natural risks present in every delivery of a baby. However, those that could have lifelong consequences typically involve the failure of medical staff or doctors to recognize dangerous conditions and follow correct procedures. These also form the basis of most birth-related medical malpractice lawsuits.
Common birth injury types
The following are birth injuries that do not fall under the list of normal risks during childbirth:
- Erb’s palsy — Upper arm muscle paralysis caused by brachial plexus injury
- Klumpke’s palsy — Hand and lower arm muscle paralysis caused by brachial plexus injury
- Cerebral palsy — Motor disorders that affect movement
- Spinal cord injuries — Severing or damage to nerve groups or significant nerves in the spinal canal
- Cranial hematoma — Bleeding beneath the scalp
- Brain damage — caused by an insufficient oxygen supply during the birth process
- Perinatal asphyxia — Caused by oxygen deprivation as a result of placental or umbilical cord problems
- Facial paralysis — Caused by damage to the nerves that control the facial muscles
- Subconjunctival hemorrhage — burst blood vessels in the infant’s eyes
- Bone fractures — broken bones like the collar bone
How would parents cope with the financial burden?
Long-term medical care costs to treat a child who suffered birth injuries are not typically part of anybody’s budget. Some injuries lead to lifelong expenses. Parents in Baton Rouge whose child suffered birth injuries due to negligence of medical staff may file a medical malpractice lawsuit. Although this is a complicated field of the law, the successful navigation of the claim could result in a monetary judgment to help them cope with the financial burden.