As many drivers in Baton Rouge know, there’s a common type of motorcycle accident that happens frequently at intersections, by driveways or near parking lot entrances or exits. It’s when a car turns left in front of a motorcyclist.
The accident happens because the motorist sees an opening in traffic — after all, there’s no cars in the way, they think — and decides to turn into the lane. But what the driver fails to take into account is the oncoming motorcycle.
It’s sad but true that motorcyclists can’t count on other drivers to always spot them. That’s why it’s important for every biker to try to recognize this common type of accident before it happens. Some of the warning signs a car may turn suddenly can include:
- The car is waiting in the intersection
- The vehicle’s tires are turned
- There’s a sizable gap in traffic
- The driver’s head is turned
Maybe the driver doesn’t see the motorcycle, judges its speed wrong or is distracted, but regardless of the possible reasons, the crash can be a serious reality, resulting in severe injuries or even death for the biker, let alone damages to the bike.
Some additional precautions a biker can take include the following:
- Slowing down and applying the brakes, but not “laying down” the bike
- Looking out for what’s behind and to either side of the motorcycle
- Being prepared to take evasive maneuvers
- Following other safety rules, like wearing protective gear and having the headlight on
Both motorcyclists and drivers need to be as watchful as possible because safety is everybody’s responsibility and accidents do happen.
If you or a loved one is injured in a motorcycle crash, it’s vital you understand your legal rights and contact a Baton Rouge attorney with experience in this kind of accident case. The attorney can handle the insurance companies and fight for your fair treatment and financial compensation.