Experienced Personal Injury Representation

Louisiana parents awarded $4.4 million in wrongful death suit

On Behalf of | Nov 21, 2016 | Wrongful Death

Losing a child is something no parent should ever have to endure. Sadly, a Louisiana couple lost two when their 6-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter were killed in a car accident after an SUV struck them while they were fishing. More than two years later, the parents were awarded $4.4 million in a wrongful death lawsuit.

The accident occurred on June 24, 2014 in Prairieville. The driver of an SUV claims she was trying to avoid an oncoming vehicle. In doing so, she ran off a state road and hit the brother and sister as they fished near Bayou Manchac. The vehicle rolled down a steep embankment, colliding with all five members of the fishing group: the siblings, their father, and two other adults. While the three adults survived the incident, the children were pronounced dead at the scene.

The wrongful death suit claims that the dangerous design of the S-shaped roadway where the accident occurred, as well as negligent maintenance, partially caused the deaths. The jury determined that responsibility for payout of awarded damages to the family will be split between the state and the driver of the SUV. The Department of Transportation and Development will be responsible for 60 percent, and — through her insurance company — the driver of the SUV will cover the remaining 40 percent.

Louisiana families who find themselves enduring the unexpected loss of a loved one may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim. Whether the accident is the result of drunk driving, negligence or other factors, an attorney with experience in personal injury can help the family pursue all avenues of compensation for their devastating loss. Any monetary recompense awarded in such cases can go toward medical costs and funeral expenses, as well as emotional pain and suffering on behalf of surviving family members.

Source: nola.com, “After siblings killed, parents win $4.4 M wrongful death suit against Louisiana, SUV driver”, Emily Lane, Nov. 10, 2016